Routledge; 18th edition
Featuring current information and challenging perspectives on the latest issues and forces shaping the American educational system ― American Education (Sociocultural; Political; and Historical Studies in Education); 18th edition ― with scholarship that is often cited as a primary source; author Joel Spring introduces readers to the historical; social; political; and legal foundations of education and to the profession of teaching in the United States of America. In his signature straightforward; concise approach to describing complex issues; Joel illuminates events and topics that are often whitewashed or overlooked; giving students the opportunity to engage in critical thinking about education. Students come away informed on the latest issues; topics; and data and with a strong knowledge of the forces shaping the American educational system.
Thoroughly updated throughout; the 18th edition of this clear; authoritative text remains fresh and up to date; reflecting the many changes in education that have occurred since the publication of the older edition. Topics and issues addressed and analyzed include:
- Increasing emphasis on for-profit education; vouchers; charter schools and free-market competition between schools; expected to surge with the appointment of the new U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos
- The decline of the Common Core State Standards; particularly as result of a Republican-controlled administration currently in place
- The purposes of education as presented in the 2016 platforms of the Republican; Democratic; Green; and Libertarian parties
- New education statistics on school enrollments; dropouts; education and income; school segregation; charter schools and home languages
- Current debates about immigration and “Dreamers”―new statistics on immigrant education; discussion of education proposals to accommodate the languages; cultures and religions of newly arrived immigrants
- Discussions around transgender students
About the Author
Joel Spring is Professor at City University/Queens College of New York and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York; USA.