William Chuck Easttom II
Pearson IT Certification; 3rd edition
1-volume introduction to computer security – Easttom’s Computer Security Fundamentals; 3rd Edition (PDF) is one of the best for the subject.
- Covers today’s latest attacks and countermeasures
- Clearly explains core concepts; challenges; terminology; technologies; and skills
- The perfect beginner’s guide for anyone interested in a good computer security career
- Chuck Easttom brings together complete coverage of all basic concepts; issues; and terminology along with all the skills you need to get started.
Drawing on the more than twenty years of experience as a security instructor; researcher; and consultant Easttom helps you take a proactive; realistic approach to assess threats and implementing countermeasures. Writing clearly and simply; he addresses crucial issues that many introductory security ebooks ignore; while addressing the realities of a world where billions of new devices are Internet-connected.
This guide covers web attacks; hacking; network defense; security appliances; spyware; password use; VPNs; and much more. Its many tips and examples reflect new industry trends and the state-of-the-art in both defense and attacks. Projects; exercises; and review questions in every chapter help you deepen your understanding and apply all you’ve learned.
Whether you’re a a professional; college student; or a manager; this guide will help you protect your assets — and expand your career options.
Learn how to:
- Scan your network for vulnerabilities
- Evaluate potential security consultants
- Resist modern social engineering attacks
- Use basic networking knowledge to improve security
- Identify and prioritize potential threats to your network
- Prevent problems arising from malfeasance or ignorance
- Implement a proven layered approach to network security
- Choose the best encryption methods for your organization
- Halt spyware; worms; viruses; Trojans; and other malwares
- Implement security policies that will work in your environment
- Get inside the minds of hackers; so you can deter their attacks
- Learn how cyberterrorism and information warfare are now evolving
- Defend against today’s most common Denial of Service (DoS) attacks
- Compare security technologies; including the latest security appliances
- Master basic computer forensics and know what to do if you’re attacked