Antonio Romano, Addolorata Marasco
Birkhäuser (Birkhauser); 2nd edition
This PDF etextbook Continuum Mechanics using Mathematica: Fundamentals; Methods; and Applications (2nd Edition)‘s [Modeling and Simulation in Science; Engineering and Technology] methodological approach familiarizes readers with the mathematical tools required to correctly define and solve problems in continuum mechanics. Covering essential principles and fundamental applications; this 2nd edition of Continuum Mechanics using Mathematica® provides a solid basis for a deeper study of more challenging and specialized problems related to nonlinear elasticity; mixtures; polar continua; ferroelectricity; piezoelectricity; magneto-fluid mechanics and state changes (see A. Romano; A. Marasco; Continuum Mechanics: Advanced Topics and Research Trends; Springer (Birkhäuser); 2010; ISBN 978-0-8176-4869-5).
Key topics and features:
* Concise presentation strikes a balance between fundamentals and applications
* Requisite mathematical background carefully collected in two introductory chapters and one appendix
* Recent developments highlighted through coverage of more significant applications to areas such as wave propagation; porous media; fluid mechanics; linear elasticity.
This 2nd edition expands the key topics and features to include:
* 2 new applications of fluid dynamics: navigation and meteorology
* New exercises at the end of the existing chapters
* The packages are rewritten for Mathematica 9 Continuum Mechanics using Mathematica®: Fundamentals; Applications and Scientific Computing is aimed at advanced graduates; undergraduate students and researchers in applied mathematics; mathematical physics and engineering. It may serve as a course etextbook or self-study reference for anyone seeking a solid foundation in continuum mechanics.