Scott F. Gilbert, Michael J.F. Barresi
Sinauer Associates is an imprint of Oxford University Press; 11th edition
A classic gets a new coauthor and a new approach: Developmental Biology; 11th Edition; (PDF) keeps the excellent writing; accuracy; and enthusiasm of the Gilbert Developmental Biology 11e PDF ebook; streamlines it; adds innovative electronic supplements; and creates a new textbook for those teaching Developmental Biology to a new generation.
Several new modes of teaching are employed in the new Gilbert and Barresi etextbook. The videos explaining development — as well as those from Mary Tyler’s Vade Mecum–are referenced throughout the book; and several other valuable new elements have been added.
Additional updates in the 11th edition include:
* Greatly expanded coverage of neural development; comprising a unit unto itself.
* An increased emphasis on stem cells; which are covered extensively and early in the book.
* Coverage of new experiments on morphogenesis and differentiation; as well as new techniques such as CRISPR.
* Sex determination and gametogenesis; instead of being near the end of the volume; are up front; prior to fertilization.
Significantly enhanced for the eleventh edition; and referenced throughout the etextbook; the Developmental Biology 11e Companion Website provides biology students with a range of engaging resources; in the following categories:
* NEW Dev Tutorials: Professionally produced video tutorials; presented by the etextbook’s authors; reinforces key concepts.
* NEW Watch Development: Putting concepts into action; these informative videos show real-life developmental biology processes.
* Web Topics: These extensive topics provide more information for advanced college students; philosophical; historical; and ethical perspectives on issues in developmental biology; and links to additional online resources.
* NEW Scientists Speak: In these question-and-answer interviews; developmental biology topics are explored by leading experts in the field.
* Plus the full bibliography of literature cited in the etextbook (most linked to their PubMed citations).
DevBio Laboratory: Vade Mecum3
Included with each new copy of the textbook; Vade Mecum3 is an interactive website that helps college students understand the organisms discussed in the course; and prepare them for the lab. The site includes videos of developmental processes and laboratory techniques; and has chapters on the following organisms: slime mold (Dictyostelium discoideum); planarian; sea urchin; fruit fly (Drosophila); chick; and amphibian.
Instructor’s Resource Library (available to qualified adopters)
The Developmental Biology; Eleventh Edition; Instructor’s Resource Library includes the following resources:
* NEW Developing Questions: Answers; references; and recommendations for further reading are provided so that you and your students can explore the Developing Questions that are posed throughout each chapter.
* Textbook Figures & Tables: All of the textbook’s figures; photos; and tables are provided both in JPEG (high- and low-resolution) and PowerPoint formats. All images have been optimized for excellent legibility when projected in the classroom.
* Video Collection: Includes video segments depicting a wide range of developmental processes; plus segments from DevBio Laboratory: Vade Mecum3; and Differential Experessions2.
* Vade Mecum3 PowerPoints: Chick serial sections and whole mounts; provided in both labeled and unlabeled versions; for use in creating quizzes; exams; or in-class exercises.
* NEW Case Studies in Dev Bio: This new collection of case study problems accompanies the Dev Tutorials and provides instructors with ready-to-use in-class active learning exercises. The case studies foster deep learning in developmental biology by providing students an opportunity to apply course content to the critical analysis of data; to generate hypotheses; and to solve novel problems in the field. Each case study includes a PowerPoint presentation and a student handout with accompanying questions.
* Developmental Biology: A Guide for Experimental Study; Third Edition; by Mary S. Tyler: The complete lab manual; in PDF format.
NOTE: THIS PRODUCT ONLY INCLUDES THE PDF OF THE BOOK. NO ONLINE CODES/ONLINE ACCESS IS INCLUDED IN THIS PURCHASE