Michael B. Smith
Academic Press; 4th edition
Smith’s Organic Synthesis; 4e; (PDF) provides a reaction-based approach to this important branch of organic chemistry. Updated and accessible; this eagerly-awaited revision offers a comprehensive foundation for graduate students coming from disparate backgrounds and knowledge levels; to provide them with a critical working knowledge of basic reactions; stereochemistry and conformational principles. This reliable resource uniquely incorporates molecular modeling content; problems; and visualizations; and includes reaction examples and homework problems drawn from the latest in the current literature.
In the 4th Edition; the organization of the ebook has been improved to better serve students and professors and accommodate important updates in the field. The first chapter reviews conformations; basic retrosynthesis; and stereochemistry. The next 3 chapters provide an introduction to and a review of functional group exchange reactions; these are followed by chapters reviewing protecting groups; oxidation and reduction reactions; and reagents; hydroboration; selectivity in reactions. A separate chapter discusses strategies of organic synthesis; and the ebook then delves deeper into teaching the reactions required to actually complete a synthesis. Carbon-carbon bond formation reactions using both nucleophilic carbon reactions are presented; and then electrophilic carbon reactions; followed by pericyclic reactions and radical and carbene reactions. The important organometallic reactions have been consolidated into a single chapter. Finally; the chapter on combinatorial chemistry has been removed from the strategies chapter and placed in a separate chapter; along with valuable and forward-looking content on process chemistry; green organic chemistry; and continuous flow chemistry.
Throughout the textbook; Organic Synthesis; 4th edition utilizes Spartan-generated molecular models; class-tested content; and useful pedagogical features to aid student study and retention; including Chapter Review Questions; and Homework Problems. PowerPoint© presentations and answer keys are also available online to support instructors.
- Includes reaction examples taken from literature research reported between 2010-2015
- Features new full-color art and new chapter content on process chemistry and green organic chemistry
- Winner of a 2018 Textbook Excellence Award (College) (Texty) from the Textbook and Academic Authors Association
- Fully updated and revised throughout; and organized into 19 chapters for a more cogent and versatile presentation of concepts
- Offers valuable study and teaching tools; including Chapter Review Questions and Homework Problems for college students; Lecture presentations and other useful material for qualified course instructors
NOTE: This sale only includes Smith’s Organic Synthesis; 4th edition in PDF. No access codes come with the sale