Routledge; 3rd edition
Writing and Editing for Digital Media 3rd edition (PDF) teaches high school and college students how to write effectively for digital spaces — whether blogging; writing for an app; crafting a story for a website; or using social media to expand the conversation. The exercises and lessons in each chapter help all students build a solid understanding of the ways that digital communication has introduced opportunities for multi-directional communication and dynamic storytelling. With this accessible guide and accompanying site; every students learn not only to create content; but also to become careful; creative managers of that content.
Based on Brian Carroll’s extensive experience teaching a course of the same name; this revised and updated 3rd edition pays particular attention to opportunities presented by the growth of social media and mobile media. Chapters aim to:
- Teach best practices in the areas of management; social media strategy; and use.
- Teach communicators to approach storytelling from a multimedia; multi-modal; interactive perspective;
- Assist digital communicators in understanding the socially networked; increasingly mobile; always-on; geomapped; personalized media ecosystems;
- Help communicators to put their audiences first by focusing attention on user experience; user behavior; and engagement with their user bases;
- Provide the basic skill sets of the digital writer and editor; skill sets that transfer across all media and most communication and media industries; and to do so in specifically journalistic and public relations contexts;
Updated with pedagogy and contemporary examples including examples from the 2016 presidential election that Trump won; and an expanded look at using social media; the 3rd edition broadens its scope; helping digital writers and editors in all fields; including marketing; public relations; and social media management.