Packt Publishing; 1 edition (September 7; 2016)
About the Author
Ninad Sathaye has spent several years of his professional career designing and developing performance-critical engineering applications written in a variety of languages; including Python and C++. He has worked as a software architect in the semiconductor industry; and more recently in the domain of Internet of Things. He holds a master’s degree in mechanical engineering.
Python is one of the most widely used dynamic programming languages; supported by a rich set of libraries and frameworks that enable rapid development. But fast-paced development often comes with its own baggage that could bring down the performance; quality; and extensibility of an application. This ebook will show you ways to handle such problems and write better Python applications.
In Learning Python Application Development (PDF); from the basics of simple command-line applications; develop your skills all the way to designing efficient and advanced Python apps. Guided by a light-hearted fantasy learning theme; overcome the real-world problems of complex Python development with practical solutions. Beginning with a focus on robustness; packaging; and releasing application code; you’ll move on to focus on improving application lifetime by making code extensible; readable and reusable. Get to grips with Python refactoring; design patterns; and best practices. Techniques to identify the bottlenecks and improve performance are covered in a series of chapters devoted to performance; before closing with a look at developing Python GUIs.
What you will learn
- Develop simple GUI applications using Python.
- Build a robust application by handling exceptions.
- Document the code and implement coding standards.
- Modularize; package; and release the source distribution.
- Detect recurring problems in the code and apply design patterns.
- Identify and re-factor badly written code to improve application life.
- Create automated tests to catch bugs in the early development stage.
- Improve code efficiency by identifying performance bottlenecks and fixing them.
- Develop; package; and deploy efficient applications in a fun way.
- Get to grips with Python techniques that address commonly encountered problems in general application development.
- All-practical coverage of the major areas of application development; including best practices; testing; exception handling; design patterns; refactoring; performance; and GUI application development.
Table of Contents
- Developing Simple Applications
- Dealing with Exceptions
- Modularize; Package; Deploy!
- Documentation and Best Practices
- Unit Testing and Refactoring
- Design Patterns
- Performance – Identifying Bottlenecks
- Improving Performance – Part 1
- Improving Performance – Part 2; NumPy and Parallelization
- Simple GUI Applications