Cay S. Horstmann
Addison-Wesley Professional; 2nd edition
Interest in the Scala programming language continues to increase for many reasons. Scala incorporates the functional programming style without abandoning the object-oriented paradigm; and it lets you to write programs more concisely than in Java. Because Scala runs on the JVM; it can access any Java library and is interoperable with known Java frameworks. Scala also makes it simpler to leverage the full power of concurrency.
Penned for experienced Java; C++; or C# programmers who are new to Scala or functional programming; Scala for the Impatient; 2nd Edition; (PDF) introduces the key Scala techniques and concepts you need in order to be productive quickly. It is the ideal introduction to the language; mostly for impatient readers who want to learn the basics of Scala so they can start coding quickly. It doesn’t attempt to comprehensively list all the features of the language or make you suffer through contrived and long examples. Rather; carefully crafted examples and hands-on activities lead you through well-defined stages of competency; from fundamental to expert.
This updated 2nd edition has been thoroughly updated for Scala 2.12 and reflects present Scala usage. It incorporates added coverage of recent Scala features; including string interpolation; implicit classes; dynamic invocation; and futures. Scala is a big language; but you can employ it effectively without knowing all of its elements intimately. This title offers precisely the information that you need to get started in compact; easy-to-understand chunks.
- Understand the Scala type system
- Implement domain-specific languages
- Create concurrent programs with Scala futures
- Leverage Scala’s powerful pattern matching and case classes
- Work with higher-order functions and the powerful Scala collections library
- Get started quickly with Scala’s interpreter; tools; syntax; and unique idioms
- Use advanced “power tools;” such as annotations; implicits; and type classes
- Become familiar with object-oriented programming in Scala: classes; traits; and inheritance
- Use Scala for real-world programming tasks: working with XML; files; regular expressions
- Master core language features: functions; maps; packages; arrays; tuples; imports; exception handling; and more
NOTE: The product only includes the ebook; Scala for the Impatient 2e in PDF. No access codes are included.