Robert J. Kizior, Barbara B. Hodgson
Saunders; 1st edition (April 13; 2018)
With essential information on more than a thousand generic and four-thousand trade name drugs; Saunders Nursing Drug Handbook 2019 is the go-to guide for nurses and students alike. The 2019 edition is organised alphabetically by generic drug name for easy and quick access and includes over two hundred and seventy updates to Black Box Alerts. This user-friendly format also includes comprehensive coverage of IV drug administration; nursing considerations; and fixed combinations. To promote better patient care; it uniquely guides you through clinical priorities in the practice setting and is organized alphabetically by generic drug name for quick reference. Plus; new drug monographs cover approximately thirty-three newly approved drugs by the FDA; and thoroughly updated monographs include new precautions;interactions; and alerts.
- Detailed information for each drug distinguishes side effects and adverse reactions to help you identify which are most likely to occur.
- Special text treatment for high-alert drugs that pose the greatest risk for patient harm; as well as an appendix for drug names that sound alike and look alike; help promote safe drug administration.
- Over 1;000 generic name drugs (encompassing over 4;000 trade name drugs) are organized alphabetically with A to 2Z tabs to make accessing important information quick and easy.
- UNIQUE! Frequently-used herb monographs and herb interactions keep you informed of the effects of commonly encountered herbs.
- Classifications section features an overview of actions and uses for drug families.
- Therapeutic and toxic blood level information shows you the patient implications for drug administration.
- Top 100 Drugs list helps you easily identify the most frequently administered drugs.
- Nursing implications are organized in a functional nursing process framework and include headings for Baseline Assessment; Intervention/Evaluation; and Patient/Family Teaching.
- Information on lifespan and disorder-related dosage variations equips you with special considerations for pediatric; geriatric; hepatic; and immune- or renal-compromised patients.
- Extensively expanded IV content features a heading for IV compatibilities and expanded rates of infusion; drip rates; test doses; reconstitutions; flushing; and incompatibilities.
- Fixed combinations are included in dosages of each combined drug directly within the individual monographs to help you understand different drug dose options for specific diseases.
- Cross-references to the 400 top U.S. brand-name drugs are located directly in the main section of the book for easier accessibility.
- Customizable and printable monographs for 100 of the most commonly used drugs and quarterly drug updates are located on the free Evolve companion site.
- Comprehensive IV Compatibility Chart foldout arms you with compatibility information for 65 intravenous drugs.
- Newly approved drugs are listed in the front of the book for quick and easy access to this timely information.
- A sample drug monograph with callouts helps you understand how to use the book more efficiently.
- NEW! Drug monographs for approximately 33 newly approved drugs by the FDA equip you with the most current drug information.
- NEW and UPDATED! Over 270 Black Box Alerts updates and additions highlight the drugs found to carry a significant risk of serious or even life-threatening adverse effects.
- NEW! Thoroughly updated monographs throughout feature updated information on new interactions; alerts; precautions; patient teaching instructions; and other need-to-know information.