Daniel C. Snell
9781119362463/ 9781119362487/ 9781119362494
The new 2nd edition of the popular survey of Near Eastern civilization from the Bronze Age to the era of Alexander the Great. A Companion to the Ancient Near East; 2nd edition; (PDF) explores the history of the region from 4400 BCE to the Macedonian conquest of the Persian Empire in 330 BCE. Original and revised essays from a team of distinguished scholars from across disciplines address subjects including the economics; architecture; politics; and heritage of ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia. Part of the Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World series; this acclaimed single-volume reference combines lively writing with engaging and relatable topics to immerse readers in this fascinating period of Near East history.
The new A Companion to the Ancient Near East; 2e has been thoroughly updated and revised to include new developments in relevant fields; particularly archaeology; and expand on themes of interest to contemporary students. Accessible;Clear; chapters offer fresh discussions on the history of the family and gender roles; the languages; literature; and religions of the region; medicine and philosophy; pastoralism; and borders; states; and warfare. New essays highlight recent discoveries in cuneiform texts; investigate how modern Egyptians came to understand their ancient history; and examine the place of archaeology among the historical disciplines. This volume:
- Offers a uniquely broad geographical; chronological; and topical range
- Examines the legacy of the Ancient Near East in the medieval and modern worlds
- Provides substantial new and revised content covering topics such as social conflict; kingship; cosmology; work; trade; and law
- Includes a comprehensive bibliographical guide to Ancient Near East studies as well as new and updated references and reading suggestions
- Covers the civilizations of the Sumerians; Hittites; Babylonians; Assyrians; Egyptians; Israelites; and Persians; emphasizing social and cultural history
Suitable for use as both a primary reference or as a supplement to a chronologically arranged textbook; A Companion to the Ancient Near East; Second edition; is a valuable resource for beginning graduate students; advanced undergraduates; instructors in the field; and scholars from other history disciplines.
NOTE: This sale only includes A Companion to the Ancient Near East; 2nd edition in PDF. No access codes included.