Antonio Romano, Addolorata Marasco
Birkhäuser (Birkhauser); 2nd edition
The [Modeling and Simulation in Science; Engineering and Technology] methodological approach presented in this PDF etextbook on continuum mechanics using Mathematica: Fundamentals, Methods, and Applications (2nd Edition) acquaints readers with the mathematical tools necessary to correctly define and solve problems in the field of continuum mechanics. This second edition of Continuum Mechanics using Mathematica® covers essential principles and fundamental applications, and it provides a solid foundation for a deeper study of more difficult and specialized problems related to nonlinear elasticity; mixtures; polar continua; ferroelectricity; piezoelectricity; magneto-fluid mechanics and state changes (see A. Romano and A. Marasco’s Continuum Mechanics: Advanced Topics and Research Trends
Important details and aspects include:
* Concise presentation achieves a healthy mix between theoretical underpinnings and practical implications
* Required mathematical knowledge compiled in two introductory chapters and one appendix with careful attention to detail
* Recent developments were highlighted through coverage of more significant applications to fields such as wave propagation, porous media, fluid mechanics, and linear elasticity.
The following are some of the expanded major subjects and features that are included in this second edition:
* Two novel applications of fluid dynamics: nautical navigation and weather forecasting
* New exercises added to the conclusion of the previously published chapters
Continuum Mechanics Using Mathematica®: Fundamentals, Applications, and Scientific Computing is designed for advanced graduates, undergraduate students, and researchers in applied mathematics, mathematical physics, and engineering. The packages have been rebuilt for Mathematica 9. Anyone looking to get a firm grasp of continuum mechanics can use this document as a reference for either self-study or as an electronic textbook for a class.