Denise M. Harmening
F.A. Davis Company; 6th edition (July 10; 2012)
The sixth edition of “Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices,” which has been thoroughly revised and brought up to date, maintains its position as the gold standard for achieving an all-encompassing comprehension of the modern routine blood banking and transfusion practices. This PDF etextbook is the ideal guide to immunohematology and transfusion practices. It begins with a review of the basic sciences and progresses to a discussion of the how and why of clinical practice.
- The inclusion of more than 500 illustrations, tables, and boxes aids in the comprehension of complex ideas, including those that are not typically illustrated and highlighted in other textbooks.
- photographs in full color and in step-by-step format that illustrate forward and reverse blood grouping for ABO.
- Discussions pertaining to the ethical and legal considerations involved in the process of blood collection and transfusion services.
- insurance for blood transfusions in preparation for transplants.
- Questions and answers in the style of a registry review at the end of each chapter, providing students with immediate feedback on their progress.
- Coverage of all blood grouping systems in their entirety.
- At the end of each chapter, you will find summary charts that highlight key concepts and information that are relevant in clinical settings.
- Details concerning the blood bank’s quality control and informational management systems are included here.
- There are charts labeled “Antigen-Antibody Characteristic” on the inside covers of the book, making it much simpler to access the vast amount of information that is associated with the blood group systems.
WHAT’S BRAND NEW IN THIS EDITION
- Case studies, each with their own set of accompanying questions and answers, that place an emphasis on the practical application of the material, thereby connecting the scientific research to the individual patient.
- The format has been simplified and made more user-friendly, and it now consists of six separate Units.
- Three new chapters…
- The Use of Cells in Therapy
- Introducing Issue Banking: A Novel Function for the Blood Transfusion Service
- Utilization Management
- “Zooming In” feature that prompts the reader to look at the illustrations more closely by asking questions about them in the legends.