Michael B. Smith
Academic Press; 4th edition
This essential subfield of organic chemistry is covered using a methodology centered on reactions in the fourth edition of Smith's Organic Synthesis (PDF). This eagerly anticipated revision, which has been brought up to date and made more accessible, provides a comprehensive foundation for graduate students who come from a variety of different backgrounds and have varying levels of prior knowledge. The goal is to equip these students with a critical working knowledge of basic reactions, stereochemistry, and conformational principles. This trustworthy site mixes molecular modeling knowledge, problems, and visuals in a novel way. It also offers reaction examples and homework problems culled from the most recent research in the field.
The organization of the ebook has been revised in the 4th Edition, and in order to better assist students and professors as well as accommodate key advancements in the area, some changes have been made. The first chapter provides a brief overview of stereochemistry, conformations, and fundamental retrosynthesis. The subsequent three chapters present an introduction to and a review of functional group exchange reactions. These are followed by chapters that discuss protecting groups; oxidation and reduction reactions; and reagents; hydroboration; and selectivity in processes. An individual chapter is devoted to the discussion of organic synthesis methodologies, and the remainder of the e-book is dedicated to the instruction of the reactions that are necessary to actually finish a synthesis. Carbon-carbon bond formation reactions employing both nucleophilic carbon reactions and electrophilic carbon reactions are discussed, followed by pericyclic reactions, radical and carbene reactions, and finally by electrophilic carbon reactions. All of the significant organometallic reactions have been combined into a single chapter for easier comprehension. In the end, the chapter on combinatorial chemistry was taken out of the chapter on strategies and moved to a new chapter entirely. This new chapter also contains beneficial and forward-looking content on process chemistry, green organic chemistry, and continuous flow chemistry.
Organic Synthesis, Fourth Edition makes extensive use of Spartan-generated molecular models, classroom-tested content, and helpful pedagogical features throughout the entirety of the textbook. These features, which include Chapter Review Questions and Homework Problems, are designed to assist students in their study and retention of the material. PowerPoint presentations and answer keys can also be found online for the convenience of supporting instructors.
- Include instances of reactions collected from research published between 2010 and 2015 in the literature.
- Contains brand new artwork in full color as well as new chapter content on process chemistry and environmentally friendly organic chemistry
- Winner of the College category of the 2018 Textbook Excellence Award (Texty) presented by the Textbook and Academic Authors Association
- Completely up-to-date and reworked throughout; divided into 19 chapters for a clearer and more adaptable presentation of ideas.
- It provides helpful resources for learning and instructing, such as Chapter Review Questions and Homework Problems geared toward college students. Presentations of lectures and other information that can be helpful to trained course instructors
Please take note that this deal only includes the PDF version of Smith's Organic Synthesis, 4th edition. There are no access codes included with the purchase.