“The Language of Medicine” by Davi-Ellen Chabner is a widely used textbook that provides a comprehensive introduction to medical terminology. Here's what you can expect from the 12th edition of this book:
- Foundations of Medical Terminology: The textbook covers the fundamental principles of medical terminology, including word roots, prefixes, suffixes, and combining forms. It provides students with a solid understanding of the structure and meaning of medical terms.
- Anatomical and Physiological Terminology: Chabner explores medical terminology related to anatomy, physiology, and body systems. Readers will learn terminology associated with the structure and function of the human body, including terminology used to describe organs, tissues, cells, and physiological processes.
- Medical Specialties and Procedures: The book covers terminology specific to various medical specialties and procedures, including terminology related to diagnosis, treatment, surgery, pharmacology, and laboratory tests. It provides students with a comprehensive vocabulary for understanding and communicating about different areas of medicine.
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Terminology: Chabner discusses terminology related to diagnostic procedures, imaging techniques, and therapeutic interventions. Readers will learn how to interpret and use medical terminology in the context of patient assessment, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Clinical and Pathological Terminology: The textbook covers terminology related to clinical conditions, diseases, and disorders, as well as terminology used to describe pathological processes and abnormalities. It provides students with the vocabulary necessary for understanding and discussing medical conditions and their implications.
- Medical Abbreviations and Symbols: Chabner includes a comprehensive list of medical abbreviations and symbols commonly used in healthcare settings. Students will learn how to interpret and use abbreviations and symbols accurately and effectively.
- Clinical Applications: Throughout the book, the author incorporates clinical applications and case studies to illustrate the use of medical terminology in real-world healthcare settings. Readers will learn how medical terminology is used in patient care, medical documentation, and communication among healthcare professionals.
- Online Resources: The 12th edition may include access to online resources such as interactive exercises, quizzes, flashcards, and audio pronunciations to reinforce learning and facilitate self-assessment.
“The Language of Medicine” is suitable for students pursuing careers in healthcare, including medical assisting, nursing, allied health professions, and medical transcription. With its clear explanations, practical examples, and comprehensive coverage, this textbook provides a valuable resource for mastering medical terminology and effectively communicating in healthcare settings.